A sump pump is a crucial component in any basement waterproofing system. It helps to keep the basement dry by collecting water that accumulates in the sump pit, then pumping it out of the house.
However, like any other mechanical device, a sump pump can fail. When it does, it can cause serious water damage to your basement.
Below, this basement waterproofing company in Forest View, Illinois is going to review some of the most common signs that your sump pump needs to be repaired or replaced, and we’ll also review the most common sump pump problems. Finally, we’ll offer some maintenance tips that will help you get the most out of your system.
If you live in an area that is prone to heavy rainfall or flooding, such as Forest View, Illinois, you should strongly consider installing a sump pump in your basement.
A sump pump is a device that is installed in the lowest part of your basement, known as the sump pit. The pump collects water that accumulates in the pit and pumps it out of the house, keeping your basement dry.
There are two main types of sump pumps: submersible and pedestal. Submersible sump pumps are installed in the sump pit and are designed to be submerged in water. Pedestal sump pumps, on the other hand, are installed above the sump pit and are not designed to be submerged in water.
Having a reliable sump pump is essential if you want to prevent water damage to your basement. A malfunctioning sump pump can cause water to accumulate in your basement, leading to mold growth, structural damage, and other problems.
A reliable sump pump will also help to protect your home’s foundation from water damage. When water accumulates around the foundation, it can cause the soil to become saturated, which can lead to foundation problems over time.
There are several signs that your sump pump needs repair or replacement. If you notice any of these signs, you should contact a basement waterproofing company in Forest View, Illinois to have your sump pump inspected.
- Strange noises: If your sump pump is making strange noises, such as grinding or rattling sounds, it may be a sign that it needs repair or replacement.
- Excessive vibration: If your sump pump is vibrating excessively, it may be a sign that the pump is not properly installed or that the impeller is damaged.
- Constant running: If your sump pump is constantly running, even when there is no water in the sump pit, it may be a sign that the pump is not properly sized for your basement.
- Age: If your sump pump is more than 10 years old, it may be time to replace it. Older sump pumps are more prone to failure, and a new pump will provide better protection for your basement.
To ensure that your sump pump is working properly, you should follow these maintenance tips:
- Clean the sump pit regularly to prevent debris from clogging the intake.
- Test the sump pump regularly by pouring water into the sump pit to make sure it turns on and off properly.
- Check the float switch regularly to make sure it is not stuck.
- Replace the battery backup every two to three years to ensure that it is working properly.
If you suspect that your sump pump needs to be repaired or replaced, you should contact a basement waterproofing company in Forest View, Illinois. A professional waterproofing company will be able to inspect your sump pump and identify any problems that need to be addressed.
A waterproofing company can also install a new sump pump if your current pump is beyond repair. They can help you choose the right size and type of pump for your basement and ensure that it is properly installed.
Are you ready to have your sump pump repaired or replaced by the best basement waterproofing company in Forest view, Illinois? If so, ULB-DRY Waterproofing is the company to call. Our technicians can inspect your sump pump and provide you with a free estimate on a repair or replacement.
Don’t wait until it’s too late — contact us today to schedule an appointment.