As a homeowner in Calumet City, Illinois, basement flooding can be a major inconvenience — not only can it cause significant damage to your home, but it can also put your family’s health at risk.
One of the most crucial things you can do to keep your basement dry is to make sure your yard is properly graded. Are you wondering what this entails? Below, this basement waterproofing company in Calumet City, Illinois is going to explain what yard grading is, why it is important for basement waterproofing, and how to recognize the signs of a poorly graded yard.
What Is Yard Grading?
Yard grading is the process of leveling or sloping the soil around your home to direct water away from your foundation.
A properly graded yard will slope downwards from your home’s foundation, allowing rainwater and snowmelt to flow away from your home. This helps prevent water from seeping into your basement and causing damage.
Yard grading is a vital step in basement waterproofing because it helps prevent water from entering your basement. Water can seep into your basement through cracks in the foundation or basement walls, or through basement windows.
A poorly graded yard can cause water to accumulate near your foundation, increasing the risk of basement flooding. A properly graded yard can also help prevent soil erosion around your home, which can cause foundation damage.
There are several signs that your yard grading may be inadequate and putting your home at risk for water damage. These include the following:
- Puddles or standing water near your foundation after it rains
- Soil erosion around your foundation
- Cracks in your foundation or basement walls
- Water stains or mold growth in your basement
- A damp or musty smell in your basement
If you notice any of these signs, it is essential to have your yard inspected by a professional basement waterproofing company in Calumet City, Illinois to determine whether grading your yard is necessary.
Yard grading is not a DIY project, and it should only be done by a professional basement waterproofing company in Calumet City, Illinois. The process of yard grading typically involves the following steps:
- Evaluation: An experienced technician will assess your yard and determine the best grading solution for your home. They will consider factors such as the slope of your yard, the type of soil, and the location of your home.
- Excavation: The technician will use heavy machinery to excavate the soil around your home, creating a gentle slope away from your foundation.
- Grading: The technician will then grade the soil to ensure that water flows away from your foundation and towards a drainage system or a low point in your yard.
- Backfilling: Once the grading is complete, the technician will backfill the excavated area with soil and pack it down to prevent settling.
- Finishing: The final step is to add a layer of topsoil and grass seed to the graded area, creating a seamless transition between your yard and your home.
Yard grading is a vital step in protecting your basement from flooding. Are you ready to have your property inspected to determine whether yard grading is necessary? If so, ULB-DRY Waterproofing is here to help. As the premier basement waterproofing company in Calumet City, Illinois, we can evaluate your yard and provide a solution that is tailored to your home’s unique needs.
Contact us today to schedule an inspection.